Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Geographic Concentration of Inspiration

In the last ten or so years there have been two geographic areas that have been sources of musical and literary influence:

England: Radiohead, Clinic, The Beta Band, Warren Ellis, Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis
Oregon: Modest Mouse, The Shins, Chuck Palahniuk

I find it odd that the music and words I look to for inspiration are located in these two geographic concentrations. If I were to extend Oregon to include the Northwest, you can add Nirvana, Pavement, Built to Spill and Tom Robbins (though I grew tired of his work after 4 or 5 books.) I'm not sure if it's the dreary melancholy of the weather these two share. It could be the paranoid secularism of England. It could be the transgressive and progressive nature of the Pacific Northwest. In any case, I am drawn to these sources time and time again.

No comments: